Re: Why blackletter letters?

From: Otto Stolz <otto.stolz_at_uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:20:35 +0200

Hello,

am 2013-09-10 um 22:43 Uhr hat Gerrit Ansmann geschrieben:
> In contrast to Greek and Coptic (as far as I
> understand them), changing a modern text to fraktur is only a change of
> the font

This is not so.

Fraktur text is subject to orthographic rules different
from those applying to text in modern Latin.

E. g., in German fraktur text, there are specific rules
in modern Latin text only the Round S has been used for
decades (the latest Long S in modern Latin German printed
text I have seen is from the 1950s, when it was already
rather unusual; the official German spelling rules from
1996 do not mention the Long S any more). Hence, a modern
Germn text, when simply transliterated into fraktur, will
not be orthographically correct.

The various abbreviations used in older fraktur text,
but not in modern Latin script, have already been mentioned
by other contributions to this thread.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz