Definition of Logical Order

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:21:08 +0100

Am I correct in believing there is no formal definition of 'logical
order' for Indic scripts. For example, if the principal language
using a script sorted C1-V-C2-VIRAMA on the basis of
CE(C1).CE(C2).CE(V), is there any formal basis for determining whether
the logical order encoding of a visual order <PA, AA, KA, VIRAMA> should
be
(a) <PA, AA, KA, VIRAMA> (phonetic order) or
(b) <PA, KA, VIRAMA, AA> (collation-friendly order)?

I have been advised on this list that the logical order for Thai would
have been the collation-friendly order, but so far as I am aware the
formal status of that advice is merely that of an undisputed highly
influential recommendation for a hypothetical situation.

Richard.