Re: Definition of Logical Order

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:56:06 +0100

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 00:21:08 +0100
Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Am I correct in believing there is no formal definition of 'logical
> order' for Indic scripts.

Thank you to Vinod Kumar for taking the trouble to reply to me
(off-list). On re-reading, I see that 'logical order' is defined in TUS
6.2 Section 2.2 and is none other than the order to be used for Unicode
text. I apologise for wasting people's time.

For me, the relevant consequence of this is that every script whose
Unicode usage is conformant, *including Thai*, is stored in logical
order. I qualify my statement because I will be totally unsurprised to
find scripts for which most allegedly Unicode-encoded text is stored in
visual order simply because renderers are unavailable.

Richard.