Re: Dotted Circle plus Combining Mark as Text

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:57:29 +0100

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:34:56 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:41:12 +0200
> > Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > > Is there standard way in Unicode to specify tht one wants to
> > > display a combining
> > > mark in isolation ?

> I would have prefered tht you answer WORD JOINER+diacritic. I'm
> looking for the best format control to use.

But all Unicode-defined processes splitting text treat the combination
of base and combining mark as unbreakable! WJ+diacritic would only
make sense if one were fighting a hyphenator that chose to separate
bases and spacing combining marks, or a processor that split Sanskrit
text into individual words. Even then, WJ is strictly speaking defined
as indicating no word boundary, rather than no line break.

Richard.