RE: Best practice of using regex on identify none-ASCII email address

From: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:09:35 +0000

EAI doesn't really specify anything "more" than the older SMTP about validating email addresses. Everything in the local part >= U+0080 is permissible and up to the server to sort out what characters it wants to allow, how it wants to map things like Turkish I, etc. Some code points are clearly really unhelpful in an email local part, but the EAI RFCs leave it up to the servers how they want to assign mailboxes.

Obviously you could check the domain name to make sure it's a valid domain name, and the ASCII range of the local part to make sure it respects the earlier RFCs, and the lengths, but you won't really know if it's a legal name until the mail does/doesn't get accepted by the server. AFAIK there isn't a published regex for doing the limited validation that is possible.

-Shawn