Re: The Ruble sign has been approved

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:42:19 -0800

The Euro was the first currency symbol added which was presented to the
world as a logo.
In the context of encoding the character, the UTC and WG2 (quite
correctly) at the time made clear that what was being encoded was a
generic character code that encompasses all font designs and that use of
the character code would not guarantee an appearance matching the logo
design.

The bureaucrats were a bit hesitant at first, but very soon actual
typefaces appeared and it turned out to be no problem at all having the
currency symbol harmonize with the font.

There is no question that UTC is fully entitled to define the range of
glyph representations encompassed by a character code. For example for
most letters they encompass any traditional or decorative rendering,
while for something like the ESTIMATED symbol, it is understood that the
intent is to encode a rather specific depiction of a lower case 'e'.

For currency symbols, the precedent established by long standing symbols
like the $ and confirmed for the euro is that a symbol shape harmonizing
with the font falls inside the glyph variation encompassed by the
character code. Only if that precedent were to be disregarded for some
future symbol would it be necessary for UTC to include "guidance".

A./