Re: Pali in Thai Script

From: Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 03:48:05 +0600

On 28/03/2014, Ed Trager <ed.trager_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Chris,

> Besides the scripts you mention, there is also Tai Tham as Richard
> mentioned

Several un-encoded Mon and Shan scripts too - as well as other Indic scripts.

> In theory, writing a utility to convert Pali written in any of those
> scripts to any one of the other scripts should not be too difficult but ...

> * Modern phonetically-based Lao lacks some of the traditional letters that
> are still preserved in Thai and other scripts.

Are there old Lao characters (once) used for writing Pāḷi?

Even if there is not a 1 to 1 correspondence - as long as there is
consistency in the way Pāḷi is written in each script - and you know
you are dealing with Pāḷi and not another language written in that
script, it should be possible.

> * At least as far as Tai Tham goes, it seems that Tai Tham spelling is not
> consistent with Central Thai spelling when it comes to Sanskrit and
> Pali-derived words ... I don't really know much about this -- just my own
> limited observations. Probably somebody else here like Richard Wordingham
> or Martin Hosken knows a lot more about this than I do ...

A problem might be if scribal errors have crept in over the centuries
and some of these misspellings have become accepted in one script or
another.

I think there is work going on to make a very carefully edited
critical edition of the Pāḷi Canon - it
would be useful to be able to convert and print this out in the
scripts used in the different countries where Theravāda Buddhism is
popular.