Re: Pali in Thai Script

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:29:05 +0000

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:06:36 -0700
Rick McGowan <rick_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand the particular scholarly need that will be
> addressed by this project, and to know why some other existing
> symbols are not, or cannot, be used for this purpose.

I didn't completely answer this question. There are existing symbols
that would be adequate.

I can see a font-based solution that might not violate the principle of
character identity. For the five voiced consonants, one could use the
encodings:

/g/ <U+0E01 THAI CHARACTER KO KAI, U+0331 COMBINING MACRON BELOW> (ก̱)
/ɟ/ <U+0E08 THAI CHARACTER CHO CHAN, U+0331 COMBINING MACRON BELOW> (จ̱)
/ɖ/ <U+0E0E THAI CHARACTER DO CHADA> (ฎ)
/d/ <U+0E14 THAI CHARACTER DO DEK> (ด)
/b/ <U+0E1A THAI CHARACTER BO BAIMAI> (บ)

These would be unambiguous for Pali (in this convention) whatever the
font used, and thus almost immediately ready for general use. (There
may be problems with the rendering of U+0331 - isn't there a minority
orthography that use it as a diacritic?) A special font could be used
for didactic purposes to add the black and white circles to
emphasise that the normal Thai pronunciation is not to be used.
One could also do that with the conventional letters for Pali
voiced stops, namely คชฑทพ, which to me would be a superior
solution.

Richard.