Re: Unclear text in the UBA (UAX#9) of Unicode 6.3

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:10:42 -0700

On 4/24/2014 8:20 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> So nothing (at least not the reason of the GC which is just an intermediate
>> >but incomplete helper) forbids the guillemets to be listed in
>> >BidiBrackets.txt.
> They don't satisfy the conditions for that. From BidiBrackets.txt:
Philippe is incorrect once again, as Eli notices.

The underlying reason for the exclusion of the guillemets is probably
that they are quotation marks and not brackets.

Quotation marks, in some languages, are not paired (using the same mark
for opening and closing), or are paired the opposite way or form
different pairs. That makes the kind of algorithm like the PBA
impossible -- at least in a language neutral way. (Even without being
language neutral, the conventions for guillemets in particular may not
necessarily be universal *within* a given language -- I seem to recall
from our investigation into quotes that usage varied between samples).

A./