Re: Terms for rotations

From: David Starner <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:17:00 -0800

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Whistler, Ken <> wrote:
> Seriously, I think that Ilya's point is well-taken. Although in English
> there is a strong association of the phrase "turn to the right" with
> clockwise motion for control devices which rotate, if you take the
> phrase out of that mechanical context and just talk about the
> orientation of pictures on paper, there can be some ambiguity
> based on the conceptual confusion with the concept of
> "turning to[wards] facing the right", which can mean something
> very different for symbols which seem to have built-in
> directions, like arrows.

So is there anything wrong with CLOCKWISE and COUNTERCLOCKWISE? TURNED
COUNTERCLOCKWISE seems a little verbose. WIDDERSHINS is shorter then
COUNTERCLOCKWISE, but is not exactly a common term, especially in
technical English.

Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.
Unicode mailing list
Received on Mon Nov 10 2014 - 19:18:40 CST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Mon Nov 10 2014 - 19:18:41 CST