Re: Terms for rotations

From: Andrew West <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:41:49 +0000

On 11 November 2014 01:17, David Starner <> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Whistler, Ken <> wrote:
>> Seriously, I think that Ilya's point is well-taken. Although in English
>> there is a strong association of the phrase "turn to the right" with
>> clockwise motion for control devices which rotate, if you take the
>> phrase out of that mechanical context and just talk about the
>> orientation of pictures on paper, there can be some ambiguity
>> based on the conceptual confusion with the concept of
>> "turning to[wards] facing the right", which can mean something
>> very different for symbols which seem to have built-in
>> directions, like arrows.
> So is there anything wrong with CLOCKWISE and COUNTERCLOCKWISE? TURNED
> COUNTERCLOCKWISE seems a little verbose. WIDDERSHINS is shorter then
> COUNTERCLOCKWISE, but is not exactly a common term, especially in
> technical English.

ANTICLOCKWISE is the term used in the UCS (see names for 20D4, 20DA,
21B6, 21BA, 2233, 27F2, 2939, 293A, 293B, 293D, 293F, 2940, 29BC,
2A11, 2B6F, 2B8C, 2B8D, 2B8E, 2B8F, 2B94, 1F504).

Unicode mailing list
Received on Thu Nov 13 2014 - 02:43:05 CST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Thu Nov 13 2014 - 02:43:06 CST