Re: Is there an IBM group mark symbol?

From: Frédéric Grosshans <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 18:45:26 +0100

Le 30/01/2015 17:55, Ken Shirriff a écrit :
> I'm writing about the IBM 1401 and there's one character from its
> character set that I couldn't find in Unicode: the group mark. The
> group mark is three horizontal lines with a vertical line through it
> (see attached image). This character is used in various books and
> publications, so it's a "real" symbol that is used in text. Would it
> make sense for me to submit a proposal to add this character?

In may 2007, Ken Whistler answered a slightly more general question on
old IBM characters :

The group mark was the more problematic and his answer was :

  * You can see it as a glyph variant of ␝ U+241D SYMBOL FOR GROUP SEPARATOR
  * You can have a symbol of the same appearance by combining ≡⃒ U+2261

However, none of the solution would seem to be really practical, and I
didn’t find any corresponding symbol (including the variants in ). A
proposal might help add it to the standard.


Unicode mailing list
Received on Fri Jan 30 2015 - 11:48:12 CST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Fri Jan 30 2015 - 11:48:12 CST