Re: Emoji (was: Re: Unicode block for programming related symbols and codepoints?)

From: Shervin Afshar <shervinafshar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:29:43 -0800

> I was responding to a point that Frédéric Grosshans made [1] about
> these symbols being added for compatibility with Japanese telco usage.
> That argument could be used for the original emoji set, but not for new
> emoji; those are supposed to follow the regular criteria.

The compatibility argument can also be applied to major vendors who are
using emoji other than Japanese vendors; you can find a list of 20-30 of
them here[3]. Add to that list, Facebook and Google. If it is commonly in
use, it has a precedence to be proposed for addition to Unicode.

To have an informing, objective conversation, people should first look at
the actual criteria[4] (as well as the criteria for encoding symbols[5])
and see if what they are claiming is actually according to the criteria or
not.

[3]: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/
[4]: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#Selection_Factors
[5]: http://unicode.org/pending/symbol-guidelines.html

> If you look at the set of new emoji proposed in L2/15-054 [2], you'll
> see that quite a few of them are justified by their current popularity
> on the Web. ("Selfie are very popular" was kind of striking. I guess at
> least one of my predictions was right.)
> [2] http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15054r-emoji-tranche5.pdf

First of all, these are just proposed and not accepted. Secondly, requests
by online communities (either directly to UTC or through corp members)
creates a precedence for UTC to consider the symbol for encoding.

> > For a longer while now, some folks tend to use emoji as means to an
> > end other than what is in the scope of conversation regarding emoji.
> > And that is not acceptable.
> Sorry, I don't understand this.

No worries. I don't blame you. It's just the good ol' circular logic.

↪ Shervin