Re: Android 5.1 ships with support for several minority scripts

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 01:17:56 +0000

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:24:24 -0700
Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> These are the links to the commit messages, which provide more
> information, listing languages supported by the scripts:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/noto-fonts/+/41fe586
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/noto-fonts/+/ea4709d
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/lohit-fonts/+/de90084
>
> Here's the list of the languages and language families newly
> supported: Balinese, Batak langauges, Berber languages, Buginese
> langauges, Buhid, Cham, Church Slavonic, Coptic, Divehi, Hanunoo,
> Javanese, Kayah languages, Khn, Lepcha, Limbu, Makassarese
> languages, Mandar languages, Manipuri/Meithei, Northern Thai, Oriya,
> Rejang, Santali, Saurashtra, Sundanese, Sylheti, Tagbanwa languages,
> Tai Dam, Tai Dn, Tai L, Tai Na, and Thai Song.

Just to nit-pick - Saurashtra isn't normally written in the Saurashtra
script, Northern Thai is normally written in the Thai script, not the
Tai Tham script, and the main script for Tai L may well be New Tai
Lue. Or am I partly wrong - have you now added line-breaking
dictionaries for Northern Thai?

I hope you haven't broken New Tai Lue support (probably not needed) by
adding a shaping engine for the current standard (Unicode up to 7.0)!

Richard.