Re: Android 5.1 ships with support for several minority scripts

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 01:17:56 +0000

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:24:24 -0700
Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> These are the links to the commit messages, which provide more
> information, listing languages supported by the scripts:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/noto-fonts/+/41fe586
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/noto-fonts/+/ea4709d
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/lohit-fonts/+/de90084
>
> Here's the list of the languages and language families newly
> supported: Balinese, Batak langauges, Berber languages, Buginese
> langauges, Buhid, Cham, Church Slavonic, Coptic, Divehi, Hanunoo,
> Javanese, Kayah languages, Khün, Lepcha, Limbu, Makassarese
> languages, Mandar languages, Manipuri/Meithei, Northern Thai, Oriya,
> Rejang, Santali, Saurashtra, Sundanese, Sylheti, Tagbanwa languages,
> Tai Dam, Tai Dón, Tai Lü, Tai Nüa, and Thai Song.

Just to nit-pick - Saurashtra isn't normally written in the Saurashtra
script, Northern Thai is normally written in the Thai script, not the
Tai Tham script, and the main script for Tai Lü may well be New Tai
Lue. Or am I partly wrong - have you now added line-breaking
dictionaries for Northern Thai?

I hope you haven't broken New Tai Lue support (probably not needed) by
adding a shaping engine for the current standard (Unicode up to 7.0)!

Richard.