Re: preliminary proposal: New Unicode characters for Arabic music half-flat and half-sharp

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:49:20 +0200

Johnny,

I’m interested in working with you and Sami on this.

These two characters are often referred to as quarter sharp and quarter flat as well. The symbols are also widely used outside Arabic music. The western classical tradition from the 20th century on is full of them. They're not obscure symbols really. Musicians with even a moderate interest in contemporary music are aware of them.

I’m travelling in Sweden working on Blissymbols at the moment, but when I get back home on Friday and can consult some of my reference works I’ll get in touch with you. It shouldn’t take long to put something together.

Michael Everson