Re: Almost not a joke

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 09:27:24 +0200

I wonder why there are no requests for common heraldic elements ("meubles"
in French) as seen in coats of arms, seals, and flags.

Their symbolic association is common enough to qualify as emojis, given
this heradic semantic is shared across multiple flags and coats of arms
from various cultures (before many people could even read and write in most
countries: they recognized these symbols, including on battlefields where
most soldiers were uneducated).

These symbols have been added also in lots of written texts to exhibit at
least their official status even if people could not read these texts! They
are also present since long on coins and banknotes so people could
recognize the origin currency and consider their associated value on
markets also even if they can't read their written language.

Many of them are already encoded (e.g. stars) but many are missing (the
eagle and shark is present in this proposal, the fish is encoded, however
flags and coats of arms use more specific species, other "animals" are the
armed lion, the dragoon, the columbus symbol of peace, and various royal
attributes, the balance symbol of justice, various war arms, religious
symbols such as totems, egyptian cross and other old religions from the
Middle-East to Asia and Africa).

Later, colors (metals and furs) were also added but they were hard to
reproduce in books and were only used in costly pieces of art, and a few
banners for battlefields (before they became flags in common civil use).
For most documents (including since long, coins and banknotes) they were
only monochromatic seals which positioned these symbols, more or less
decorated with various styled strokes, but very few letters or digits. For
long, monochromatic seals have been more important in daily use than
colorful flags (and they were also better substitutes than handwritten
personal signatures based on people names that they did not know how to
write correctly).