Sencoten and Unicode policy (was: the usage of LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH STROKE)

From: Janusz S. Bień <jsbien_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 13:49:48 +0200

On Mon, Jun 01 2015 at 3:29 CEST, prosfilaes_at_gmail.com writes:
> On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM Janusz S. Bien <jsbien_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
> wrote:
>
> The proposal makes me curious about past and present Unicode
> policy,
> e.g. would it be accepted if submitted now.
>

> Why wouldn't it? Unicode has, if anything, seemed to become more
> flexible about adding characters that seeing any sort of use.

On Sun, May 31 2015 at 18:20 CEST, frederic.grosshans_at_gmail.com writes:

[...]

> The upper case was introduces for Sencoten, and the proposal is here
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2004/04170-sencoten.pdf

The document's author states:

    Although they could be made up of Letter + overlay diacritic, it is
    my understanding that the Unicode Consortium would prefer to create
    unique code points for these types of letters (e.g. recent
    acceptance of LATIN LETTER SMALL C WITH STROKE).

Is this true?

On the other hand, according to Wikipedia

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saanich_dialect

in 2014 there was "about 5" native speakers of the language.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)