Re: Precomposed Cyrillic letters

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 22:59:29 +0100

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 09:37:21 -0700
Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:
>
> > From http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15169-montenegro-cyrillic.pdf,
> > "Addition of two letters from Montenegrin language, CYRILLIC
> > script":
> >
> > > 9. Can any of the proposed characters be encoded using a composed
> > > character sequence of either existing characters or other proposed
> > > characters?
> > > No
> >
> > Saying it doesn't make it so:

Is there a requirement to answer those questions truthfully?

> Right, although I doubt that the proposers monitor this mailing
> list...
>
> In case an interested party is listening: If sr-ME needs different
> locale data than sr, then one could contribute such data to CLDR
> <http://cldr.unicode.org/>.
> See the current state:
> http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/browser/trunk/common/main/sr_Cyrl_ME.xml

Presumably http://cldr.unicode.org/index/survey-tool/accounts is the
most relevant page for someone with credibility. However, as
Montenegro has an army and a navy, you have the wrong locale. It's
still waiting for a language code. See the language family panels
at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Herzegovinian_dialect and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_language for the extreme
Balkanisation.

But in short, yes we need the extra Cyrillic letters с́ and з́ and
Latin letters ś and ź for the exemplar characters in sr_Cyrl_ME and
sr_Latn_ME (or should that be sr_ME?). I can't work out the status of
Montenegrin Latin {sj} and {zj}.

Richard.