Re: APL Under-bar Characters

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 00:06:20 +0100

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 07:35:17 -0700
<alexweiner_at_alexweiner.com> wrote:

> There is significant discussion about the problems of adding capital
> letters with individual under-bars in this mailing list for GNU APL.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-apl/2015-08/msg00050.html
<snip>
> Is there something I could do to make this addition to the Unicode
> standard? There is already a section for APL symbols.

A possible compromise would be to use the Private Use Area (PUA). If
you need single characters, it may be an appropriate solution. It might
even be better to use the PUA (codepoints U+E000 to U+F8FF) than to be
assigned a block in the Supplementary Multilingual Plane (SMP) U+1xxxx
or the 'deprecated' plane U+Exxxx.

Richard.