Re: [RFC] Discussion about chances of some characters to be added in Unicode

From: Frédéric Grosshans <frederic.grosshans_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 14:43:12 +0200

Le 07/09/2015 19:49, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov a écrit :
> Hello there!
>
> First of all, I'm sorry in advance, if my message's tone is not suitable for
> that mail list.
> Next, I'd like to discuss the chances of some characters to be added in
> Unicode at all.
> Most of all I interested about:
>
> 1) Full-height right and left isosceles triangles, positioned in the edges of
> the glyph space (so, when concatinated with space symbol on the background of
> same color of it's foreground, it looks integrally [ref: triangles_demo
> attach, although there is font rendering artefacts anyway, but, I hope, I
> clearly decribed the idea]).
> ref: symbols on the both edges on the attached "pwl" picture
Your description looks more like a glyph specification than a (more
semantic) character description. I suspect that ⏴U+23F4 BLACK MEDIUM
LEFT-POINTING TRIANGLE and ⏵U+23F5 BLACK MEDIUM RIGHT-POINTING TRIANGLE,
introduced in Unicode 7.0 as interface symbols (anyone remember which
proposal it was ?) are what you are looking for.

> 2) "Forking" characher (not the math one, but VCS one).
> ref: in the middle on the attached "pwl" picture.
This one seems legit to me, but the “external link sign” seemed legit to
me and was rejected (see http://unicode.org/alloc/nonapprovals.html ).

> 3) "Pause" (media) character (it is ones for "play/pause" and "play" in the
> unicode already, but it not for "pause"). There is "cheats" like using two
> vertical bars instead, usually it looks very ugly.
You are looking for ⏸U+23F8 DOUBLE VERTICAL BAR (alternate name: pause),
introduced in Unicode 7.0 for that specific purpose (I don’t remember
the proposal)

> 4) "Power" (like on power buttons on electronic devices)
As said by Steven, this one is already in the pipeline, even if not
accepted yet

> And, actually, imho, it also be nice to have all of symbols from the picture
> in the Unicode.
Things like 🔒 U+1F512 LOCK ?

> P.S. I'd also ask about some more symbols, which is "missed" in everyday life
> and substituted with glyphicons on the web (but, you know, it is impossible to
> use glyphicons in CLI/console applications ☹),
That is not a Unicode problem, it is an interface problem, arguably a
bug in CLI/console developement.
> like: "cart", "exit", "barcode"
The shopping cart is currently under consideration (see
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15195r2-emoji-add-tranche6.pdf, as U+1F6D2)
> (ideally, including also "qr" and "datamatrix" ones), and more, and more, but
> let's initially talk about that ones I talked initially ☺
>
> P.P.S.: and also it would be nice, I think, to have "icons" symbols of major
> OS brands (at least, Windows, MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD) to stop them (first two
> ones) of using Private set for that.
That’s a big No since 1999 : these symbols are logos, and excluded with
Unicode. No one wants to deal with the legal nightmares of doing so.

   Frédéric