Re: VS: [somewhat off topic] straw poll

From: Rick McGowan <rick_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:07:47 -0700

Doug, et al --

The primordial statement you're looking for is in TUS, Chapter 1 and has
been there forever. See:

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/ch01.pdf

In section 1.1, page 3:

*Note, however, that the Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic,
personal, novel, or private-use characters, nor does it encode logos or
graphics.*

I'm not sure UTC has ever made any specific pronouncement on the topic,
but they do sometimes add things to the notice of non-approvals, which
can generally be taken as a precedent.

http://unicode.org/alloc/nonapprovals.html

If there is any such statement from the UTC, Ken Whsitler would probably
be the one who could put his hand upon it most quickly. :-)

R.