Re: Unicode in passwords

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 08:33:22 +0100

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 07:01:12 +0200
Mark Davis ☕️ <mark_at_macchiato.com> wrote:

> I've heard some concerns, mostly around the UI for people typing in
> passwords; that they get frustrated when they have to type their
> password on different devices:
>
> 1. A device may not have keyboard mappings with all the keys for
> their language.

The typographers will probably give English as an example! Where's
the en dash key?

> 2. The keyboard mappings across devices vary where they put keys,
> especially for minority script characters using some pattern of
> shift/alt/option/etc.. So the pattern of keys that they use on one
> may be different than on another.

Even ASCII can have problems. A password containing '#' and '|' can't
be entered when a physical US keyboard (102 keys) is interpreted using
a mapping for a British keyboard (103 keys). (There seem to be
different conventions as to which key is missing.)

Richard.