Unicode 9.0 Candidate Characters

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:36:46 -0800

The Unicode Consortium has accepted 7 new emoji characters as candidates
for Unicode 9.0, scheduled for release in mid-2016. This makes a total
of 74 emoji candidates
<http://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts/emoji-candidates.html>. These join
thousands of non-emoji candidate characters for Unicode 9.0.

At this point, the characters for Unicode 9.0 are candidates---not yet
finalized---so some may be removed from the candidate list, and others
may be added. Names, images, and code points may also change, so these
candidates are not yet ready for use in production systems. The
additions of emoji characters to Unicode are based on the emoji
selection factors <http://www.unicode.org/emoji/selection.html>. Other
prospective emoji characters are still being assessed and could be
approved as candidates in the future.

There is also a new version of UTR #51, Unicode Emoji
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/>, which provides design guidelines
and data for improving emoji interoperability across platforms, and
gives background information about emoji symbols. Aside from general
clarifications in the text, several annexes are moved to separate pages
to allow for faster updates, the level distinction among emoji is
removed, and certain characters no longer allow for emoji modifiers for
skin-tone. These changes are also reflected in new machine-readable
emoji data files for implementations.

The emoji charts <http://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts/> have also been
updated. These include a full listing of emoji characters (with images
from various vendors), the default ordering of emoji, annotations, when
various emoji were added to Unicode, and more.

http://blog.unicode.org/2015/11/unicode-90-candidate-characters.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements