Re: Rare "Thousand sign" (or "Millar") in XIX century Spaniard books

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 13:38:48 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 16:32:15 -0300, Andrés Sanhueza
wrote:

> Hello. I was looking for info in Spanish about some rare punctuation symbols and found one in some Spaniard XIX century books (vía Google books) I haven't seen referenced anywhere. It was called "millar", which translates somewhat like "thousand". It seems that it had at least four glyph variants, yet the quality of the scans make it a bit difficult to reproduce exactly.

> A sample from "Manual del cajista" by José María Palacios (1845).
> In the text the sing is given the look of a turned C with a lighting bold in it

Upscaled, it looks like a reversed C with two little overlaid solidi. I can't address the challenge to represent it in Unicode. As an approximation, one might suggest a turned C with (one) small solidus overlay:

U+0186 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OPEN O, U+0337 COMBINING SHORT SOLIDUS OVERLAY.

Reversed C is available in lowercase only (U+2184 LATIN SMALL LETTER REVERSED C).

> Another sample from "Gramática castellana fundada sobre principios filosóficos" by Francesc Pons i Argentó (1850)
> Now there's three glyphs variants. One is an stand-alone turned C. Other is a turned C with two bars as an overlay. The other looks like two f's turned 180°, or two j's with an small bar.

In digital typography, these turned characters could IMO be raised on the baseline like it is current in Unicode. The second is in fact a turned Colon sign. This can be represented fairly well (at the condition that overlay combining diacritics are properly implemented):

U+0186 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OPEN O, U+20E6 COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE OVERLAY

The third looks like a turned small ligature ff. I see no other way than using two turned f's (eventually with reduced letter spacing):

U+025F LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J WITH STROKE, U+025F LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J WITH STROKE

> Another sample from "Manual de la tipografia española, ó sea, El Arte de la imprenta" by Antoni Serra i Oliveres (1852).
> In this one, the millar looks like an straight C with two overlay bars.

This being now U+20A1 COLON SIGN, use as thousand sign would be biased.

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 13:32:17 -0800, Ken Shirriff wrote:

> Take a look at this book, which describes millar symbols: 20ↄ and 40JJ (approximately)

U+0254 LATIN SMALL LETTER OPEN O as a thousands sign is straightforward, especially with Elzevirian digits as quoted from

"Critica de lenguaje" by Féliz Ramos i Duarte (1896).

When for double J uppercase is preferred, I suppose that's to have it dotless. This is available in lowercase:

U+0237 LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J, U+0237 LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J.

I'm not sure whether I've replied what Andrés really intended to learn by launching the thread. In any case I took it as a touchstone for Unicode completeness.

Best regards,

Marcel