Re: Girl, 12, charged for threatening her school with emojis

From: Leonardo Boiko <leoboiko_at_namakajiri.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:44:48 -0300

Ah but that is a "majority" by a dictionary/type count. Due to Zipf's Law,
in language matters we should always distinguish dictionary counts from
actual usage. E.g. Twitter is very popular in Japan, and I think we'll all
agree that the top used kanji are predominantly modal:
http://emojitracker.com/

Thomas Dimson's great distributional analysis for Instagram gives us
hashtags that are equivalent to emoji; again, I think it's clear that their
primary use is for modality.
http://instagram-engineering.tumblr.com/post/117889701472/emojineering-part-1-machine-learning-for-emoji
.

What's more, a lot of emoji which seem to have no "clear emotional
referent" is appropriated for modal purposes. For example, this thread's
🔫 🔪 💣 are graphical depictions of objects, but I think you'll all agree
that the girl was expressing a mood; she wasn't saying "gun, knife, bomb".
I'm told that U+1F481, INFORMATION DESK PERSON 💁, was taken to be "sassy
girl" or "hair flick", and from that it became a modality indicator for
sassiness, sarcasm, fabulousness etc.

(I suspect that another major use of emoji, besides modality, is deictic:
"I'm at Tokyo Tower" + Tokyo Tower emoji, "Merry Christmas" +
Christmas-related emoji. Emotional mood still seems to be to be clearly
the dominant use.)