Re: Swapcase for Titlecase characters

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 00:14:59 +0100

Den 2016-03-19 17:40, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug_at_ewellic.org>:

> As one anecdote (which is even less like "data" than two anecdotes), I
> could not find any of the characters IJ ij DŽ Dž dž LJ Lj lj NJ Nj nj or their hex
(You missed the DZ "ligature" (which aren't really ligatures).)

As mentioned, for the IJ ij here (which sometimes ARE shown as ligatures,
mostly in signage), there is no "titlecase" variant for these (and thus
no problem for "swapcase"). For casing they behave just like Œ œ and Æ æ.
While we are off-topic for this thread... (but still on-topic for
this list):

I still think ij should have the "soft-dotted" property (and that
that property is finally implemented properly in various systems...).

> equivalents in any of the CLDR keyboard definitions.

I've heard that old typewriters used to have a key for IJ ij. Maybe it
should be reintroduced for Dutch computer keyboards, as well as used
(for Dutch) in autocorrects (IJ -> IJ, ij -> ij) or spell correctors
(looking at the whole word rather than just two letters, and then
not restricted to Dutch per se, but certain Dutch names regardless
of the language for the surrounding text). That, in turn, would
probably be a better approach than trying to have some special
handling of the sequence "ij" in case mapping (for Dutch alone).

/Kent K