Re: Non-standard 8-bit fonts still in use

From: Ed Trager <ed.trager_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 12:03:58 -0400

In addition to creating platform-specific keyboard layouts as Doug
suggested, I would also like to point out that it is now also possible —and
possibly even easier— to create web-based keyboard and input method engines
that may allow a greater degree of cross-platform support, reducing
platform-specific work.

Also with web applications the "software installation" issue is eliminated.
Remember that while it is easy for technologically savvy folks like members
of this mailing list to install keyboard drivers on any platform we like,
this process is somewhat beyond the reach of many people I know, even when
they are otherwise fairly comfortable using computers.

As an example, see http://unifont.org/keycurry/, a Javascript/jQuery-based
web app that I wrote and use for myself all of the time.

One limitation of keycurry is that currently almost all of the keyboard
maps assume an American QWERTY layout. But honestly it would not be very
difficult to generate variant maps for AZERTY or whatever else one wants. I
just have not bothered myself to do that extra work because I bought my
laptop in the U.S. and the default QWERTY layout works fine for me,
especially now that I can write new keyboard maps for most scripts and
languages in a matter of a few minutes (unifont.org/keycurry now uses
JSON-based keyboard maps with UTF-8, in addition to an older format based
on Yudit; obviously IMEs for scripts like Korean or Chinese take a lot
longer to write, but simple keymaps for Latin and many other scripts are
super easy to make).

In fact, with web-based solutions, users don't even have to download or
install the fonts, as obviously we can just use web fonts to supply
Unicode-based fonts to the web app. (In fact this is exactly what I do for
the Tai Tham keyboards in keycurry, inter alia).

Best - Ed