Re: Non-standard 8-bit fonts still in use

From: Oren Watson <oren.watson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 12:31:36 -0400

Hm... I don't think that simply search-replacing of ascii characters for
the characters the font uses them for will work, except on .txt files.
Microsoft Word documents, HTML files, and any other non-plaintext files
will almost certainly be corrupted by such a program, because the tags
might contain those letters. (in addition, unlike .docx files, .doc files
from windows xp contain binary data which could have arbitrary bytes.)

Probably in practical terms a good solution is to make a Microsoft Word
macro to do the replacement, and post instruction to copypaste it.