Re: less-than or equal to with dot in the less-than part?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:20:43 +0200

the =equal sign= is also used as a delimiter (fancy quotation marks and
brackets), this is also the case for < and > (see XML, also used as
quotation marks in some contexts that want more). I don't see why these
simple math operators would be restriced to math. Same remark about
++plus++ signs (emphasis marks).
In those usages however, I do not think that there's a significant
difference between the slanted or straight variants, fonts could choose one
variant or the other. In maths, there's normally no difference, but
possibly in some cases these could be distinctive (mathematicians love
creating distinctive but simple symbols that are easily recognized because
they need many distinctions when they work on various kinds of
generalizations or extensions to wider topologies exhibiting some
differences).