Proposed Update UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 4.0)

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:36:09 -0700

[doctor emoji]A proposed update of UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 4.0)
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/tr51-8.html> is available for
public review and feedback. This new version covers a total of 2,243
emoji, an increase from the 1,788 in Version 3.0.

There are several important changes in the proposed update. Three
existing symbols have been newly classified as emoji: U+2640 FEMALE
SIGN, U+2642 MALE SIGN, and U+2695 STAFF OF AESCULAPIUS. These are used
in sequences to represent additional professions and to make gender
distinctions among emoji. Many new emoji zwj sequences are cataloged,
including professions and roles, gender distinctions, and new family
groupings. Two new flag emoji have been added, one as an emoji zwj
sequence and one as a regional indicator pair. Ten additional emoji
characters are newly classified as emoji modifier bases. This results in
50 new emoji modifier sequences, displaying skin tone diversity. For
example, see the emoji data for U+1F93C WRESTLERS.

Associated charts are available at
http://unicode.org/emoji/charts-beta/index.html, and associated data
files are available at http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/4.0/.

The review period for the proposed update ends on October 24, 2016.
Feedback can be submitted through the online reporting form
<http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html>.

http://blog.unicode.org/2016/08/proposed-update-utr-51-unicode-emoji.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements