Re: Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:07:29 +0300

30.9.2016, 12:57, Gael Lorieul wrote:

> I wonder why only a subset of the alphabet is available as subscript
> and/or superscript ?

This is explained in section 22.4 of the standard:
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode9.0.0/ch22.pdf#page=25

To put it briefly, in my interpretation, subscript and superscript
characters have been encoded in Unicode only if they have specialized,
defined meaning in some notations (e.g. superscript letters in phonetic
notations) or if they exist in some legacy character encoding.

Apart from specialized cases, the recommended approach is to use higher
protocols (such as formatting or markup). So instead of trying to find
superscript letters for “end”, you should consider using rich text or a
markup language so that the word written with normal letters “end” is
formatted or marked up as a superscript.

Yucca