Aw: Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

From: Jörg Knappen <jknappen_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 17:08:52 +0200

Sub- and Superscripts are considered "higher level markup" and not parts of plain text in UNicode. You can easily get at
them using LaTeX notation or HTML tags for sub- or superscripts.

So the question is: Why are there *some* sub- and superscript character in Unicode?

And the answer is: They were found in older charactersets and Unicode provides so-called "round-trip compatibility" to those
older character sets. The relevant older character sets happen not to cover a sensible full range of sub- and superscripts, therefore
the gaps in Unicode. It is very probable that those gaps will not be filled at any time.

--Jörg Knappen