Re: Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 22:36:33 +0200

> >> There is ‼ DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK U+203C which perhaps might be used.
>
> > I disagree, IPA does not use such confusive ligature that would be read
> as
> > a repeated click and not a single one. Reversing the second one (and
> > slighly kerning it, thow I don't know how, to avoid the confusion with
> > "!i", i.e. a click followed by a vowel, most proably writing them on top
> of
> > each other or slanted/italicized) is a valuable visual distinction for a
> > single distinctive phoneme.
>
> What confusion? ¡ is not easily confusable with i - ask the Spanish!

Not relevant! Here were'e not speaking about punctuation between words, but
inclusion within words in phonetic trancrtiptions where even word
separation is not always relevant and punctuation us almost absent.
There's no case in Spanish with "¡" in the middle of a word. But here we're
speaking about noting a consonant within words where vowels can also be
expected in phonetic transcriptions. And there the confusion with a
following voiwel i is very likely. On the opposite, IPA symbols are
carefully chosen to avoid visual confusions (and that's why they only exist
in a single lettercase).