RE: The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 17:49:11 +0000

I was responding to this:

> And (dare I ask) perhaps enshrined someplace in http://www.unicode.org/roadmaps/smp/ pending further progress with Paramount?

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Ewell [mailto:doug_at_ewellic.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:40 AM
To: Unicode Mailing List <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Cc: Mark Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>; Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

Peter Constable wrote:

> Klingon _should not_ be encoded so long as there are open IP issues.
> For that reason, I think it would be premature to place it in the
> roadmap.

But Mark's point about removing it from the "Not the Roadmap" page, which categorizes it among "Scripts (or pseudoscripts) which have been investigated and rejected as unsuitable for encoding," may be a valid one. There is a difference between "unsuitable for encoding" and "might turn out to be unencodable due to IP issues."

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org