Re: "Oh that's what you meant!: reducing emoji misunderstanding"

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 05:27:25 +0100

such system already exists since long in various forums and chats, you
already write a word between colons, you get the emoji without having to
select it in a list or remember their code point and use complex input, but
there's a way to reverse this conversion if needed. The conversion of
":colon-bracketed-words:" to emojis has frequent false positives, notably
with punctuation: I've seen regularly false conversions of "-)" or similar
into undesired emojis.

There's no evident and universal way to convert emojis to natural language,
you'll collide sometimes as well with non-Emoji meanings I've seen some
forums substituting programming code (properly tagged as such using
<kbd>...</kbd>) and replacing it with non-sense emojis. The same could
happen in the reverse direction (even if you surround the ":word:" with
additional spaces. Even if you choose some keywords or markup such as
"<emoji>smiley</emoji>" instead of " :-) " or " :smiley: ", you may break
tabular data (using ":" as column separators).