Re: Emoji mappings in Shift JIS / CP932/943

From: Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 08:46:14 -0800

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de
> wrote:

> Could and should custom vendor extensions like the ones documented in
>
> - http://unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/EmojiSources.txt
>
> be included in these mappings?

They could, but it would be best for vendors to publish their actual
mappings rather than others guessing them.

At this point, the Emoji vendor mappings are not very relevant any more
because Unicode has added many Emoji symbols that are not in the old vendor
charsets.

In general, the biggest value of the Unicode mapping tables was for
cross-reference with existing standards when Unicode was being established.

Furthermore, are the files in /Public/MAPPINGS/ supposed to be maintained
> at all as characters get added to subsequent releases of Unicode?

I am not aware of anyone working on them. If there is one that you think
would be valuable to add or update, you can propose specific data.

Viele Grüße,
markus

PS: One of my favorite charts:
https://w3techs.com/technologies/history_overview/character_encoding