Re: Emoji mappings in Shift JIS / CP932/943

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 19:15:22 +0100

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Christoph Päper <
> christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de> wrote:
>
>> Could and should custom vendor extensions like the ones documented in
>>
>> - http://unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/EmojiSources.txt
>>
>> be included in these mappings?
>>

> They could, but it would be best for vendors to publish their actual
> mappings rather than others guessing them.

Sometimes these vendors no longer exist, or have be bought by another
comany that has have stopped any earlier developments and supports for
their legacy systems.

Then it just remains a community of users that will have documents or data
to adapt to the newer standard: they'll try to "guess" some best fit
mappings so they can still use these data and encoded documents that remain
in their archives (and not always in an easily printable form such as
PDFs). However the most important documents to save are unlikely to contain
emojis, which are basically used in interactive talks between individual
users that have not archived them (and probably don't want these talks to
be archived for long, if we consider that most of these talks are private).