Re: Northern Khmer on iPhone

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 22:45:43 +0000

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 23:09:05 +0100
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> ... default stock fonts will be enough if they fit the basic
> need for the language users want to use and will be rarely updated,
> unless they buy a new phone with a newer version of the OS featuring
> better stock fonts.

I'm not sure that that applies to minority languages. I'm currently
exploring the hypothesis that there is very little in the way of
Northern Khmer on the web in the Thai script because input methods or
rendering prevent or penalise (e.g. by dotted circles) its use. I am
therefore interested in how compatible it is with mobile phones.
Chatting with family and childhood friends is one place where using
one's mother tongue might make good sense.

Richard.