Translations of city names

From: Jean Aurambault <jean.aurambault_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 12:56:23 -0800

Hi,

I'm looking for (lightweight) libraries to translate city names,
potentially country as well (but I know that's available in CLDR/ICU in
some ways). Ideally it wouldn't need a database but rely on static assets.

I'm wondering if there is any standard that defines a universal city id
(similar to country codes).

Wikipedia has lots of information on exonyms in different languages.

I also found thing like http://www.geonames.org/ that seems to have a
complete dataset with translations in many language but the relevant data
would need to be extracted.

Right now we use a old version of Maxmind library to get geolocated data
that has no translation. Looks like new version have some translation but
not enough language supported

Any recommandation?

Best,
Jean