Re: Standaridized variation sequences for the Desert alphabet?

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:34:41 +0900

On 2017/03/23 22:48, Michael Everson wrote:

> Indeed I would say to John Jenkins and Ken Beesley that the richness of the history of the Deseret alphabet would be impoverished by treating the 1859 letters as identical to the 1855 letters.

Well, I might be completely wrong, but John Jenkins may be the person on
this list closest to an actual user of Deseret (John, please correct me
if I'm wrong one way or another).

It may be that actual users of Deseret read these character variants the
same way most of us would read serif vs. sans-serif variants: I.e.
unless we are designers or typographers, we don't actually consciously
notice the difference. If that's the case, it would be utterly annoying
to these actual users to have to make a distinction between two
characters where there actually is none.

The richness of the history of the Deseret alphabet can still be
preserved e.g. with different fonts the same way we have thousands of
different fonts for Latin and many other scripts that show a lot of rich
history.

Regards, Martin.