Re: Standaridized variation sequences for the Deseret alphabet?

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:41:14 +0900

On 2017/03/23 22:32, Michael Everson wrote:

>> What is right for Deseret has to be decided by and for Deseret users, rather than by script historians.
>
> Odd. That view doesn’t seem to be applicable to CJK unification.

Well, it may not seem to you, but actually it is. I have had a lot of
discussions with Japanese and others about Han unification (mostly in
the '90ies), and have studied the history and principles of Han
unification in quite some detail.

To summarize it, Han unification unifies very much exactly those cases
where an average user, in average texts, would consider two forms "the
same" (i.e. exchangeable). Exceptions are due to the round trip rule. It
also separates very much exactly those cases where an average user, for
average texts, may not consider two forms equivalent.

If necessary, I can go into further details, but I would have to dig
quite deeply for some of the sources.

Regards, Martin.