Re: Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 12:32:55 +0200

​Good questions.​

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Joan Montané <joan_at_montane.cat> wrote:

> 1st one: point 4 (Unicode subdivision codes listed in emoji Unicode site)
> arises something like chicken-egg problem. Vendors don't easily add new
> subdivision-flags (because they aren't recommended), and Unicode doesn't
> recommend new subdivision flags (because they aren't supported by vendors).

That isn't really the case. In particular, vendors can propose adding
additional subdivisions to the recommended list. The UTC Consideration​s
<http://unicode.org/draft/emoji/selection.html#utc_consideration> would
come into play in assessing those proposals.​ So it is certainly possible
for there to be (say) a flag of Texas or Catalonia appearing in an Emoji
6.0 release this year. Similarly, Microsoft could propose adding the ninja
cat ZWJ sequences.

> 2n one: What about "Adopt a Character" (AKA "Adopt an emoji"). Will be
> valid, but not recommended, Unicode subdivisions codes eligible? For
> instances, say, could someone adopt California, Texas, Pomerania, or
> Catalonia flags?

​We only support the recommended list for adoptions.

Mark