Re: Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

From: Joan Montané <joan_at_montane.cat>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:56:02 +0200

> To add to what Ken and Markus said: like many other identifiers, there are
> a number of different categories.
>
> 1. *Ill-formed: *"$1"
> 2. *Well-formed, but not valid: *"usx". Is *syntactic* according to
> http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#def_emoji_tag_sequence
> <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#def_emoji_tag_sequence>,
> but is not *valid* according to http://unicode.org/reports/tr5
> 1/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences
> <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences>
> .
> 3. *Valid, but not recommended: "usca". *Corresponds to the valid
> Unicode subdivision code for California according to
> http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences
> <http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/proposed.html#valid-emoji-tag-sequences>
> and CLDR, but is not listed in http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/.
> 4. *Recommended:* "gbsct". Corresponds to the valid Unicode
> subdivision code for Scotland, and *is* listed in
> http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/
> <http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/>.
>
> As Ken says, the terminology is a little bit in flux for term
> 'recommended'. TR51 is still open for comment, although we won't make any
> changes that would invalidate http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/.

Just two remarks

1st one: point 4 (Unicode subdivision codes listed in emoji Unicode site)
arises something like chicken-egg problem. Vendors don't easily add new
subdivision-flags (because they aren't recommended), and Unicode doesn't
recommend new subdivision flags (because they aren't supported by vendors).

2n one: What about "Adopt a Character" (AKA "Adopt an emoji"). Will be
valid, but not recommended, Unicode subdivisions codes eligible? For
instances, say, could someone adopt California, Texas, Pomerania, or
Catalonia flags?

Regards,
Joan Montané