Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 00:59:42 +0100

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 00:30:30 +0100
Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 23:07, Asmus Freytag (c) <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:

> You want WHITE CHESS KNIGHT, and WHITE CHESS KNIGHT ON SQUARE, and
> use a VS that changes the colour of the square? That is less legible
> in plain text than my proposal. Not as good. Detrimental to the user
> indeed.

No, he wants two characters WHITE CHESS KNIGHT and WHITE CHESS KNIGHT ON
DARK BACKGROUND, and a variation selector, say VS2, that when applied to
them yields a glyph that works with block elements.

It might be simpler if WHITE CHESS KNIGHT ON DARK BACKGROUND was
defined as a character that worked with block elements.

> Then you’re still stuck for a solution for non-em-square characters
> for inline text.

No, WHITE CHESS KNIGHT should continue to fulfil that role. My only
worry is that one might need a variation selector, say VS1, to force the
choice of a suitable glyph.

Richard.