Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 01:30:05 +0100

> I'm trying to work out whether we need a variation sequence for
> "chesspiece in a sentence”.

Of course! Haven’t you ever seen chess problem texts? Check out the Fairy Chess proposal for encoding additional characters. Plenty of examples there.

Sorry, I meant “Of course **not**!” that is, chesspiece in a sentence is extremely common, and should be the default (not stylized) form. We can’t repurpose that to be “chesspiece on a white square” because it hasn’t been previously and changing that would affect the layout of existing data.

Michael Everson