Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 15:49:41 +0100

On 5 Apr 2017, at 09:10, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com <mailto:richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>> wrote:

> Now, what happens to the two scheme if rendered with yellow text ('foreground') on a blue background?

The same thing that happens to ANY graphic character if you choose to render the background as blue and the text as yellow.

> I believe the 'empty black square' will have yellow hatching on a blue back ground.

Well, it is good that you believe this.

> Will the empty white square be white or blue?

It will be blue, obviously.

> Will the 'piece with matching spacing' have a white background around the depiction of the piece, or a blue background? What of a 'white
> square with a specific piece on it’?

This isn’t a problem and has nothing to do with my proposal.

> A piece with a *white* background is different to a piece that is merely an outline, whether filled or not.

I don’t think I can consider your comments to be relevant to the proposal any longer. You don’t even address the proposal.

Oh, here is the answer to your question. It took me 15 seconds to change the background and text colour in Quark XPress. It has nothing to do with the proposal for variation sequences.

http://evertype.com/standards/unicode-list/looking-glass-yellow-blue.png

Michael Everson