Re: Eszett variation sequence

From: MacCampus <>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:04:31 +0200

Actually, the Berlin street signs are well-known cases of using the alternate form of the German sharp s. I personally have never seen a straight y in German usage anywhere else. For me, both cases can sufficiently being taken care of using OpenType features or simply a dedicated font, as is the case with the lettering in Berlin.

The German Wikipedia article on the „ß“ ( names the author of the font (Herbert Thannhäuser); in the English version on the letter, this information is missing. The article dedicated to Herbert Thannhäuser personally (; German Wikipedia only) makes it clear that the font used in Berlin was especially commissioned from him, so it was probably more a one-off design.

Am 06.04.2017 um 15:26 schrieb Michael Everson <>:

> Do you think we should encode a Latin straight y (like the Cyrillic one) so we can write Seүdlitzstraſʒe?
>> Would it make sense to propose standardized variation sequences for these styles or should this be left to font features like `cv##` or `calt` in Opentype?

Sebastian Kempgen