Re: Coloured Punctuation and Annotation

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 19:21:43 +0100

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 11:34:47 +0100 (BST)
William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com> wrote:

> The following post may be of interest.
>
> http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2002-m06/0337.html
>
> It is part of a thread from 2002 about the possibility of chromatic
> fonts.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible please for Unicode to have a
> Chromatic property that works exactly like the emoji property in the
> sense of expressing that a colour version of the glyph is being
> requested so that characters such as the one to which Daniel refers
> in his post linked above can be listed in The Unicode Standard as
> having a variation selector for a Chromatic version as that would be
> a respectful terminology for characters used in such applications.

Well, who thinks Khaled's example
(http://www.amirifont.org/fatiha-colored.html) is a "text presentation"
and who thinks it is an "emoji presentation"? I think it's a text
presentation.

If "text presentations" have to be monochrome, as Asmus claims, I think
the UTC ought to effectively change the emoji property from a binary
property to an enumerated property with values like "monochrome",
"multicolour", and "emoji". There might be technical problems, but I
suspect the the emoji property is be covered by Unicode stability
guarantees. The property is in no way part of the Unicode standard.

However, it is probably something best left to a higher order protocol
- as may be done for some emoji. Individual requests would have to be
justified on a character by character basis.

Richard.