Re: Public review of draft repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646

From: Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 23:33:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 06:14:45 +0200 (CEST), I wrote(1):

> I note that now that the Unicode repertoire is built at cruise speed,
> few to no feedback items are reported.[1][2]
> [1] http://www.unicode.org/review/pri327/feedback.html
> [2] http://www.unicode.org/review/pri328/feedback.html

It seems to happen that while many characters provided in
Amendment 1 (PDAM) to ISO/IEC 10646:2016 (5th edition) didnʼt
make it into Unicode so far, many others that are now in beta didnʼt
show up in draft additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2016 (5th edition) DIS,
neither. That is enough of an explanation why to date, the UTC is facing
a number of feedback items requesting name changes and even code
point swapping,(2) that otherwise is considered not actionable.(3)

Iʼd suggest to provide for each character enough descriptors—if not in
the name, so at least in the aliases—so as to avoid any ambiguity.(4)
(At my level, Iʼm implementing almost all feedback on PRI#350 when
localizing the data for human reading. Including name changes.)

Regards,
Marcel
(1) http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2016-m07/0002.html
(2) http://www.unicode.org/review/pri350/