Re: Unicode education in UK Schools

From: Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 13:53:16 -0700

On 7/7/2017 12:55 PM, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> Asmus Freytag wrote:
>
>> I've not (yet) located any assignments that try to address any of the
>> "tricky" issues in the use of Unicode.
> That might be a good thing. Many introductory lessons or chapters or
> talks about Unicode dive almost immediately into the complexities and
> weirdnesses, much more so than with other technical topics. This scares
> newbies and they walk away thinking every aspect of Unicode is complex
> and weird.

For a CS curriculum you really want more than asking students to use
Unicode to spell their name for a modified "Hello World!" program. (For
a German university, this is an interesting assignment as at least half
if not more of the students would be able to complete this assignment
using the ASCII subset.... except for a small minority, the others would
not actually need to use something like the \u syntax, as the local
keyboard would work for their names).

Some of the presentations I found did mention collation and similar
issues (and gave non-Latin examples) but I have not located any homework
assignments that cover any of these issues (and they are not corner
cases, but the ordinary complexity of text data).

A./